CAIR – a Wahhabi organisation?
A common canard of people who attack CAIR is that it is a “Wahhabi” organisation which has links to extremist groups. While there may be some in that organisation with such sympathies, I got this in my Hotmail yesterday:
In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful
CAIR: Celebrating 10 years of community service
AMERICAN MUSLIM NEWS BRIEFS - 4/8/04
- HADITH OF THE DAY: RELIEVED OR RELIEVING?
- CAIR JOB OPENINGS: WEBMASTER, CIVIL RIGHTS ATTORNEY
- CAIR-DC Employment Discrimination Workshop
- MD LAWMAKERS ISSUE REBUKE OVER ISLAM E-MAIL (Balt Sun)
- NJ: IRAQI-AMERICANS COMPLAIN OF MISTREATMENT (Record)
- DOCUMENTARY EXPLORES DETENTION OF MUSLIMS (SL Weekly)
- Cal State Seeks To Offer Islamic Center (PE)
- ISLAM: HIJAB IS NOT OPPRESSION (Buffalo News)
- PA: Spiritual Side of Islam (Daily Penn)
- TX: 3 MUSLIM-OWNED GAS STATIONS TORCHED (LA Times)
- Blazes of Hatred? (San Antonio Express-News)
- 9/11 STOKED POLITICAL ASPIRATIONS OF MUSLIMS (AFP)
- FL: MUSLIM WOMAN ALLEGES HATE CRIME AT TAMPA MALL (WFTS)
- US WARNS MOSQUES LEGITIMATE TARGETS FOR FIGHTING (AFP)
- Hospital Chief: Over 280 Iraqis Killed (AP)
- U.S. Defends Bombing Mosque (AJC)
- US Troops Kill 13 Iraqis in Protest (News.com)
- ISNA COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT CONFERENCE
EXPERT UNVEILS SPIRITUAL SIDE OF ISLAM Faatima Qureshi, Daily Pennsylvanian, 7/8/04 http://www.dailypennsylvanian.com/vnews/display.v/ART/4074fd8422b41
In the race to establish the presence of science in Islam, the Sufi focus on spirituality is often overlooked, according to Religious Studies professor Barbara von Schlegell.
In front of an audience of around 30 students, von Schlegell addressed the position of Sufism Islamic mysticism in Islam Tuesday in Houston Hall for the Penn Arab Student Society's Arab Heritage Month.
Having set the tone for her talk, von Schlegell then focused on Sufism. The goal of Sufis is often misunderstood as the desire to attain oneness with God, but, according to von Schlegell, no Sufi writing upholds this statement. Instead, the goal of the Sufis is to realize divine mysteries, love God and gain knowledge of Him.
I thought this piece worth reporting because one of the major planks of recent efforts to defend Sufism is disassociating it with false notions like “unity with God” and the validity of all religions. These writings by orientalists are an enormous weapon in the hands of anti-Sufi Muslims like the Wahhabis and some of the modernists. Alhamdu lillah, it seems like even some orientalists are discovering the truth about Sufism.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Should White Muslims marry each other?
- Not a religion of platitudes
- On obscene generalisations
- We can’t blame ‘Wahhabis’ for everything
- Don’t call us haters