Menzies or Minghis?
This is for anyone wondering about why the man who could become the leader of the third biggest party in the UK has such an oddly-pronounced name. (The article mentions the Scottish cop drama Dalziel - pronounced DL - and Pascoe, without mentioning what puzzled us here in the Smith household: why did nobody in the show ever pronounce Dalziel the way it looks in English?)
Mind you, at least we don’t have anyone with any Polish tongue-twisters; I once had a classmate whose middle name was Wladyslaw, prnounced “Vwuddiswuff”, a name I thought was a nonsense name he had made up himself until I saw it written down years later.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Corbyn, Brexit, and Labour’s civil war
- Why is Boris Johnson popular? Is he?
- How do we solve a problem like the police?
- Nothing brave about Starmer’s cave-in
- Not our brothers’ keepers