Muslim women, hijab and employment
A report from yesterday’s Guardian on how women from ethnic minorities generally, but particularly those of Bangladeshi and Pakistani origin have low economic activity and high unemployment, not due to lack of qualifications or ambition but due to discrimination. Reasons include hostility to hijab, not being taken seriously due to height and colour, and refusal to take part in work “socials” at the pub. (More at the BBC here, via Pickled Politics.)
Possibly Related Posts:
- On obscene generalisations
- Does polygamy cause violence?
- Why is Quilliam pamphleteering about FGM?
- Zac Goldsmith, an authority on FGM?
- Hijab and primary school girls: not compulsory, but …