Thinking of getting the MS Office demo?
This is something I read on the Planet KDE blog I use to gather news for my other blog: an account of what the author found when she downloaded the recent Microsoft Office demo. Quite simply, all worthwhile functionality has been disabled. The “new” and “save” functions have been greyed out, with a message attached saying “to enable it purchase a licensed copy of Microsoft Office”, and you can’t even edit documents!
It took 50 minutes to download and install it, and 20 minutes to remove after an attempt at use that lasted two minutes. They call this a “fully functional demo”. Like, what’s the point?
Possibly Related Posts:
- Garmin’s four-day outage reflects incompetence
- Guardian Daily: nice new app, shame about the upgrade
- The Stallman affair and what it means for Open Source
- Yes, we need our hands-free phones.
- The distraction of in-car touch screens