Who speaks for Muslims?
Muslim Matters (in this case Amad) on the media’s insistence on relying on fringe figures for details of what is wrong with the Muslim community. In this country the most popular recently have been the Ed Husain set, and before that the so-called Sufi Muslim Council who even got a meeting with Ruth Kelly; in the USA and Canada, they have tended to be “liberal Muslims” with a clearly-expressed contempt for ordinary practising Muslims. He also has recommendations as to whom the media should talk to, who do represent the views of mainstream Muslims.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Do they know what representation means at all?
- Prince Harry is just protecting his family
- Guardian Daily: nice new app, shame about the upgrade
- Brexit and how ignorance has become a ‘virtue’
- “Fake news” and the lay-offs at the Canary