Nzingha has an excellent article, ma sha Allah, regarding some of the popular perceptions about what women can and can’t do in a veil, in response to a particularly stupid article in the Arab News which claims that the veil “physically impedes a woman from fully interacting with others, chopping vegetables, operating machinery or doing any number of every day- day tasks which require the full use of the five senses”. The sister lives in Saudi and has seen veiled women doing all these things except chopping vegetables (which she has however seen blind people do). Long, and pretty comprehensive.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Niqaab is not relevant to sexual harassment
- Hijabi versus liberal Muslima
- Niqab in Camden: where are the Muslim voices?
- Maajid Nawaz plays to groundless fears over niqaab
- Letter to the Guardian on Niqaab